The Brotherhood of St. Andrew...
An Order for Men & Boys in the Episcopal Church
The Brotherhood of St. Andrew is an international ministry of men within the Anglican Communion dedicated to bringing men and boys to Jesus Christ. Its corporate offices are in Ambridge, Pennsylvania.
The Brotherhood was incorporated by an Act of the U.S. Congress signed on May 30, 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt. The act stated, “the sole object of said corporation shall be the spread of Christ’s Kingdom among men.”
Members are called Brothers Andrew and are required to accept and observe the Brotherhood disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service. Brotherhood chapters usually meet once or twice per month in Episcopal and Anglican churches. A portion of each meeting is devoted to each of the disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service.
Any baptized Christian man may be a member of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew. However, only men who are confirmed in an Anglican or Episcopal church or a church in communion with the Anglican or Episcopal Church may become a chapter, regional or national officer in the Brotherhood.*
*From the About Us page of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew Web site
The St. John’s Chapter is one of the oldest in the Brotherhood (it was the 8th Chapter founded) although it had a hiatus from the 1960s until a few years ago. The Chapter now meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month for breakfast and Bible study. A youth chapter for young boys also meets at the same time. All men of the parish are encouraged to attend.
Those who would like to learn more about the Brotherhood of St. Andrew may wish to seek out current members of the Brotherhood, who can be identified by way of the pin many of them wear on their jacket lapel.